Monday, 12 December 2011

Boots Pharmaceuticals Avert Electronic Cold Sore Machine

Ok, this isn't a sexy or glamourous  - or festive, sorry! - post but if you're unfortunate enough to get coldsores (like I sometimes do - thankfully pretty infrequently, only when I'm really run down about every 18 months or so now) you might be interested to read this.

I spotted it in Boots a while ago and after a bit of research I decided to buy it for the occasional coldsore I get, as I can get through 2 or 3 tubes of Zovirax a time which is about £12-15.  It has really positive reviews on the Boots website with some people saying that they haven't had a coldsore in that particular place again after they'd used this even thought it's normally a regular occurrence for them.  Now, I can't vouch for that but it's definately interesting.

This product uses an invisible, narrow waveband of light to enhance the local immune response to the coldsore virus which is meant to reduce the duration of the attack and speed up healing time. I find it a bit weird that light can treat it as I know sometimes sunlight can cause coldsores too. I can't say I particularly understand the science behind it, but if it works, I don't care!




You're meant to use this when you first feel the tingle of a coldsore and 12 hours after that, but you can use it more frequently without any adverse effects.  You basically hold it over the coldsore, press the button and hold it in position until it beeps after 3 minutes.  I did feel a bit daft holding it on my face, and it's surprisingly restrictive as to what you can do in that time - the 3 minutes you hold it in place for seems like absolutely ages!  I used it at least twice a day even though my coldsore wasn't that bad. It comes with instructions and a battery and is really easy to use actually.

So, did it work?  I think it did, usually it takes about a week for me to get rid of a coldsore when I get one.  This one had died down after 3 days (just in time for the weekend, woohoo!), which I was quite impressed with. I wasn't convinced at first as it was really sore and felt weird not having anything covering it like I normally would but I persevered and I'm glad I did.  I've already recommended it to a couple of my friends who I know suffer with coldsores much more than me and would say if you get them to give it a go.  Especially if you get them regularly, it will work out much more cost effective in the long run.

The Boots Pharmaceutical Avert Electronic Coldsore Machine is available from Boots.com for £35.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting, I read them all!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...