Thursday 16 May 2013

Shaping up for summer with apps and Warburtons Escapes (a healthier alternative to crisps!)

It's that time of year again when you can finally emerge, butterfly-like, from your winter clothes and slip on something a bit more summery.  Er, until you realise that you need to tone up, shave your legs and get a bit of fake tan on before you can legitimately start dressing for summer.

I'm going on holiday in July and I want to look a bit better in my bikini than I do at the moment so I'm following WeightWatchers ProPoints (which works for me) but rather than use their app and pay monthly for the privilege I use one called Ultimate Value Diary Plus which allows you to track points, track weightloss, search for ProPoints values of foods and calculate any that aren't listed.  It's a real motivator and always available as it's rare I go anywhere without my phone.  It's comprehensive too so it does everything I need it to.

I've also been using the Zombies 5k app to get into running, it's basically a Couch to 5k app for people who don't do any running to get them up to being able to run 5k in 8 weeks, but with a twist.  It builds in a storyline about a zombie invasion, so you're training as a runner to help with missions in a zombie apocalypse.  It sounds a bit weird, and it probably is, but it's really helping me to stay interested in running whilst being appropriate for my shocking levels of fitness - the only exercise I get is walking Pearl and walking to/from work.

It gives clear instructions to build up your fitness and syncs in to your playlists so that in the periods where you're running around it plays your music while telling you what to do.  It also tracks progress too.  I have to admit I get a bit freaked out when it makes out a zombie is chasing you and you have the croaky moan of a zombie coming through your headphones...I run a little bit faster when that happens though...

Another thing I've been trying to keep me on track are Warburtons Escapes - a baked pitta bread snack with 45% less fat than a packet of crisps.


They come in a variety of flavours:
  • Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
  • Sour Cream and Chive
  • Spicy Chilli Jack with a Hint of Cheese
  • Sea Salt and Malt Vinegar
  • Fiery Madras
  • Chicken Tikka
My favourites were the Sour Cream and Chive but the Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper are yummy too.  Overall I liked all the ones I tried - salt and vinegar were probably my least favourite - and I found they had plenty of flavour, a lot of crunch and were pretty satisfying. They look kind of like Doritos but thankfully taste nothing like them (hate Doritos). Unfortunately my boyfriend also likes these too - normally saying something is healthy is akin to telling him it's got arsenic in it - so I've hidden what's left! He just thought they were baked crisps rather than pitta which I think is a good thing.


And here's the nutritional information from the Salt and Black Pepper flavour to give you an idea of how the might measure up next to your favourite crisps:


One thing I will say is that in terms of WeightWatchers points, these are 5 ProPoints per bag which is actually higher than a bag of Walkers but you do get 40g of snacks rather than 28-32.5g (which is what a normal bag of crisps usually is) so I personally feel like you get more for your points, and they seem more filling.

I was sent these for review but I'd definitely buy them in future for a healthier snack.  They've just launched in the shops now so keep an eye out for them - their website will be launching too at www.warburtonsescapes.co.uk or you can follow on Twitter @warbsescapes

1 comment:

  1. i will definitely try out that app! im losing weight for summer and vaguely counting calories but i dont want to pay for a monthly WW subscription!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I read them all!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...